What are the requirements for getting a Concealed Weapons Permit (CWP) in South Carolina?

You must be a law abiding citizen, twenty-one years of age, A South Carolina resident or qualified non-resident, complete a SLED certified course, and apply to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED); a “qualified non-resident” is someone who is a resident of another state yet owns property in Sought Carolina.

Where can I get a Concealed Weapons Permit application for South Carolina?

This site has the current CWP application. Application Note: You must complete the application online then print it out, sign, and date it.

What do I submit to SLED to apply for a CWP?

Submit: A completed CWP Application, Two completed fingerprint cards, A copy of the Instructor/Student Checklist or Training Certificate, A copy of a Driver’s License with current address, A Certified Check, Cashiers Check, or Money Order in the amount of $50. made payable to:  SLED.

How can I contact SLED?

SLED, Attn: Regulatory Agency, P. O. Box 21398, Columbia, SC 29221-1398 (803) 896-7015 Note: Do not call this number except for questions your Instructor cannot answer.

How much does the Concealed Weapons Permit cost?

The cost of the permit is $50.00 however the fee is waived for Disabled Veterans and Retired Law Enforcement Officers.

Is my South Carolina CWP recognized by other states?

Yes, there are thirty-one states that recognize South Carolina’s CWP either by reciprocity agreement or straight recognition.

What states reciprocate with South Carolina CWPs?

South Carolina now has reciprocity with Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Does Georgia recognize South Carolina's CWP?

Yes, in 2016 the South Carolina Governor signed into law a bill to recognize Concealed Weapons Permits holders from the state of Georgia.  Under Georgia law, they recognize Concealed Weapons Permits from all states that recognize Georgia’s permits.

How long is your class?

New South Carolina law no longer specifies a certain time to complete the class but they do specify the subjects to be covered in addition to the range qualification. Students must sign off on a checklist that they understand each subject covered. It is very difficult to cover the required material in less than eight hours.

Does Foothills Firearms Training Center offer refresher courses?

Yes, our former students can always return to update or refresh their training free as often as they feel a need. Other CWP holders can take the classroom training for a fee of $50.00.

Can a resident of another state get a South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit?

Yes, but only if they own property in South Carolina. SC has a Qualified Non-resident CWP for those who are residents of another state and own property in SC. They must complete the same requirements as a resident plus complete a Form 168 and have it signed by the county Tax Assessor where the property is located.

What do I do if my CWP is lost or stolen?

You must immediately Notify SLED if your permit is lost or stolen. Complete this form and mail it to SLED with a Money Order in the amount of $5.00.

What do I do if I have a change of address?

You have ten days to notify SLED of a change of address. Get a new or duplicate SC driver’s license with your correct address, make a copy, and complete the form then mail to SLED with a Money Order in the amount of $5.00.  Use this same information for a Name Change due to marriage/divorce.

What if I have something on my record from past years, can I still get a CWP?

This is a question for an attorney to answer but I can tell you that I have had former students with a DUI, shoplifting, or bad check charges in their past who were able to get a CWP. The best thing to do is to get your record expunged so there are no charges on your record. Note: This is not legal advice but rather fatherly advice.

Where can I get information about carry laws in other states?

This site is a good one for finding about gun laws in other states: http://www.handgunlaw.us

Is there a place to shoot handguns in the Upstate without joining a private club?

Yes, Foothills Firearms Training Center in Liberty, SC has a Pistol Range open to the public on a fee per hour basis or free to current and former students. Days and hours of operation are Wednesday afternoon from 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM and the first Saturday of each month from 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM. You must e-mail info@cwpclass.com or call/text (864) 630-1883 by the night prior to range opening. Also, there is a free public range run by the SC Department of Natural Resources located off Breazeal Road, Easley, SC (864) 855-5747.

Be Sociable, Share!